Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

California to Honor Gay Youth Denied Eagle Scout by BSA

- - - - - BSA Boy Scouts California Assembly Ryan Andresen Speaker John Perez

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,667 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
The Speaker of the California Assembly is planning to honor a California youth who was denied the Eagle status he had earned as a Boy Scout after he came out as a gay youth. He had been a scout for 12 years.

Ryan Andresen received the same treatment as every other gay teen, he was judged to be an immoral person and evicted from the Boy Scouts of America. Praise Jeebus.

SACRAMENTO (CBS SF) — A Moraga teen who was denied his Eagle Scout award and kicked out of the Boy Scouts because he is gay will be honored by the California state Assembly Monday.
Assembly Speaker John Perez, who is openly gay himself, will recognize 18-year-old Ryan Andresen at the opening legislative session at noon.

story

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas
So, if you work your ass off and complete all the requirements to earn the rank of Eagle scout but you're found to be gay, you lose everything you worked so hard for. Well isn't that special. That's not a very good lesson to be teaching young children in my opinion. Not a very good lesson at all.

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

What exactly is our duty to a non-existent God? I certainly feel no obligation to said God. I must say though, for a non-existent entity, he sure causes a lot of damn problems on planet Earth. Of course it's not really him that causes the problems, it's his followers. They want these kids to be morally straight, yet they teach them hard work, determination, and dedication to achieve a goal, doesn't pay off if you happen to be gay. The Boy Scouts of America are teaching kids it is OK to hate and be intolerant towards gays. That if you're gay, you are not deserving of a place in their organization. No matter how hard you work or how good you are.

I ran the streets as a kid growing up in San Antonio. I never belonged to anything per se, except the group I ran around with. I was certainly never a boy scout, and reading stories like Ryan Andresen's, makes me glad I never joined the Boy Scouts of America. Because along with the good things they do teach young boys, they teach Christian intolerance and hate towards the gay community. That is unacceptable.

The way I grew up taught me a lot of things, not all of them good. But then, the way I grew up, I never learned to hate or be intolerant to someone, just because of the way they looked or the way they loved.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,787 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
I was not taught homophobia and religious intolerance when I was in the BSA. Part of it may be that gays and atheists were out of sight, out of mind, but the scout leaders never mentioned these topics. I think the major reason, though, was that I was in the BSA before the Mor[m]ons seized de facto control over the organization.
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas
Good point Cousin Ricky. The Boy Scouts has been a great institution throughout its history, and many young men have developed good qualities by being part of it. I just wish they would become more accepting of gay members.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,667 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I was not taught homophobia and religious intolerance when I was in the BSA.

I was never hassled for being gay in the Boy Scouts either. This was 50 years ago before the organization was hijacked by the Mor[m]on church. It is not the same now as it was then.

The Boy Scouts has been a great institution throughout its history, and many young men have developed good qualities by being part of it. I just wish they would become more accepting of gay members.

Yes, I benefitted from being a Boy Scout, but with their over-emphasis on religious crap and their new found anti-gay militance I wonder if it is as good for youngsters today as it was in the '60s.

As a private group they do have the right to limit membership, I would say, but as a group that chooses to discriminate they should not be receiving taxpayer support by way of local governments.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BSA, Boy Scouts, California, Assembly, Ryan Andresen, Speaker John Perez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users