Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pagans Sue Gummint for Excluding Pentacle from Grave Markers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
When a US veteran dies they are entitled to have their grave headstone carved with a symbol representing their religious association. For some time pagans, who identify as Wiccans, have been trying to ge the US Department of Veteran Affairs to pick up the tab for carving a Pentacle into the headstones of deceased Wiccan veterans.

The gummint, in typical Jeebustarian fashion, has not acted on these requests, neither denying them or even responding to them.

Three Wiccan families and two Wiccan churches are now suing Uncle Sam in what will certainly be a futile attempt to achieve the mythological equal treatment under the law that is so often fantasized about by people who are not heterosexual white anglo-saxon Jeebustarians.

The ACLU is on the case.  See the story here.

What do you think about this?

We believe that once a person is dead it is no longer appropriate to argue with them about their religion. We think dead people should be given the benefit of the doubt. And we certainly do not approve of Jeebustarian cultural imperialism.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Wiccan veterans deserve , , , no not deserve, but have earned the right to have their markers representative of the faith they followed in life, as much as any other serviceman or woman.  This should not be an issue. It should be done. Period.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Of course it should be done.

I haven't done anything about letting my children know what I want done when I die. I suppose it really doesn't matter. But perhaps you might tell what you have done.  It may give me some ideas or at least some courage to do something.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I have very specific instructions about what to do with my carcass when I flop over. Cremated with my ashes being spread in two very specific locations. Joshua Tree NP near Belle Campground and Wounded Knee. As far as funeral arrangements I have recorded an hours worth of music that outlines my life from birth to the present.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
I keep thinking about this subject too, what with me being 149 years old.

I've told my lovely husband and my kids that I want to be cremated and, inspired by you actually, to have my ashes spread at Joshua Tree.

And I've also considered putting together a playlist of music to be played at any memorial gathering, but the problem is that everybody that loves me also hates my taste in music.  Oh well.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
The music that I have selected begins in the sixties and ends with more contemporary tunes. My wife listened once to my selections and began crying. She said it was like watching a life unravel before her eyes, then watching it patch itself together again. I told her that is exactly the response I was shooting for. I have nothing. At least to be remembered by those left would be something. Make sure they scatter you up around Belle Campground Steve. That way we can get in peoples eyes when the wind blows! :snork_lach:

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I keep thinking about this subject too, what with me being 149 years old.

I've told my lovely husband and my kids that I want to be cremated and, inspired by you actually, to have my ashes spread at Joshua Tree.

And I've also considered putting together a playlist of music to be played at any memorial gathering, but the problem is that everybody that loves me also hates my taste in music.  Oh well.

Have a heart, Steve.  Three hours of Liza Minelli and The Village People is a bit much for anyone to stand, isnt it?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

Have a heart, Steve.  Three hours of Liza Minelli and The Village People is a bit much for anyone to stand, isnt it?

Actually it's the Delerium and similar hypno-trance-electronic-dance music that gets to them.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
[quote]Three hours of Liza Minelli and The Village People is a bit much for anyone to stand, isnt it?[quote]

Talk about going to hell! [smilie=holyshit.gif]

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
If I made a music list for my funeral, I'd make it long and hardcore, so it has a lot of screaming. Maybe i'll wake up from a state prenounced dead :P.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
More likely someone would shove the speakers in your coffin and nail the lid shut! :smt020 :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

More likely someone would shove the speakers in your coffin and nail the lid shut! :smt020 :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

The White Coyote has just given me a great idea. If I'm cremated with my lovely little iPod nano, maybe I can listen to my hypno-trance electronica in the after life. I guess there's just one problem with that idea....

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society
I want my naked body thrown into a hole in the ground and covered in dirt.

As far as a service or ceremony, that will be up to whoever I leave behind, provided that my cadaver is not forced to make an appearence. Those gatherings are, after all, for the living, and the dead should be permitted to decay in peace.

As for the tombstone, I have no specific requests yet. However, one possibility that comes to mind is a four letter word that would have to be in all caps at least five times the size of the next largest lettering, followed by an exclamation point. It begins with an 'F' and is both an exclamation for the occurance of an unfortunate event, and also an instruction to the living to enjoy life while they can.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

It begins with an 'F' and is both an exclamation for the occurance of an unfortunate event, and also an instruction to the living to enjoy life while they can.

I LIKE IT! :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users