I’ll believe it when I see this news report:
VATICAN CITY. Pope Francis has directed the prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith to issue this memo to all bishops:
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
1. Any confessor who hears one confess to child abuse within the bond of the confessional shall direct the penitent, as his penance, to hire an attorney and present himself to the civil authorities. If the penitent does not follow through, there shall be no absolution, as authorized by our Savior Himself in John 20:23. This is to be done even if the penitent is a priest.
2. Any bishop who hears allegations of child abuse outside the bond of the confessional shall report the allegations to the civil authorities forthwith, that the suspect may have an opportunity to defend himself in court. This is to be done even if the suspect is a priest.
3. All dioceses with incriminating files shall turn states evidence, immediately.
4. All rehabilitation centers shall be phased out as remaining patients are granted their court dates. The centers shall be sold and the proceeds directed to settlement funds.
5. Should any bishop place the reputation of the Holy Roman Catholic Church above the welfare of children, let him be anathema!
6. Any priest or bishop who does not comply in full with this directive shall be deemed in material cooperation with evil, and has thus placed himself in a state of excommunication.
7. Any confessor who hears a confession from clergy attempting to avoid the consequence of paragraph 6 shall observe paragraph 1, under pain of paragraph 6. And so on.
Miserando atque Eligendo,