Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

God is on our side. Does that mean war?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I found this at the SAB religion news forum:

New research shows how religion is used to justify violence

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Well, that's the story of the rise and fall of human civilization.  Since we are a deeply defective species with a demonstrated persistent need to interact violently in the name of obviously ridiculous Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddies, it is just a matter of time until some powerful loonie tunes warmongering faithful religious nut pushes a nukular weapon button.

Since humans can do it, and it is extremely stupid, and it is almost infinitely violent, all that is required to complete the process is a sufficiently homicidal follower of <insert Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddy>.

There might be some survivors, but with the gloves blown off by a nukular war they will be so violent as to make an Old Testament prophet blush.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
You know how after WWII, during the Nuremberg trials, all the officers tried to get out of hot water by saying "Hey... I was just following orders."?

That's what it ALWAYS comes down to.  Only instead of some nefarious character like Adolph Hitler, now you take your orders from the One True Merciful GodTM.  How can you hold a loyal Soldier of ChristTM to blame for acting under the direct orders of his father in heaven?  Surely whatever atrocities he may have committed were part of a much grander plan.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
Well, to get back to the original question, if God's on our side, then obviously She will stop the next war.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Here's an interesting blog entry I found at Almost There.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
I left a comment on that blog, and it was really mean too.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
How brain washed we/I was. I loved Abraham..hook line and sinker.  I honestly did question the prodigal son getting all the goodies when he returned and I didn't like it that Martha was rebuked by Jesus.  But I never spoke up about it. After all it was the Bible.

I am really trying to question things now. In fact my husband thinks I am arguing with him when I really am just asking the source of his statements.  :snork_boes:

Yes, the comment of UG was funny..

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

How brain washed we/I was.

Most of us have been brainwashed in one way or another.  Celebrate that you have the ability to question the dogma you were raised with and change your mind on things.  Many people never allow themselves to do that.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Indeed, a certain amount of flexibility in our worldviews is essential to the ability to adapt to the changing world. If we can't roll with the punches, we take more damage than we have to. I think few people can really get the hang of it, most of them seem to need something to cling to, an absolute view of the world that can only be threatened by change. I think a lot of people retain their religion into adulthood and beyond, because they're unwilling to admit to themselves that their loving parents could've been so wrong about something so important as life-after-death matters.

I just happened not to've grown up with a family, or at least, not just one. Adopted at 3, 10-11 at a boy's camp for "problem" kids. then I lived with a foster family 'til I was about 15, and went to an orphanage for a couple of years. By then I was just blowin' in the wind, so I got in trouble with the law, they let me join the Navy, and that's what my childhood was like. I had to get used to change, so I learned to adapt to whatever situation I found myself in. I never went to the same school 2 years in a row. I was the perpetual "new kid on the block". I even got to skip the 5th grade, because I was at that boy's camp. I guess they tested me and decided I could do without the 5th grade, which was fine with me.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier

I left a comment on that blog, and it was really mean too.

Yeah, I noticed how the first comment was written by an apologist who refused to take into account that maybe gawd was demanding human sacrifice back then because he's a human construct who only lives in the minds of imaginative sociopaths. Barbaric societies have barbaric gods, and vice versa. Why? Because they're all made up. What a difficult concept to grasp.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Most of us have been brainwashed in one way or another. 

Hey, does that mean we have clean minds?  :Wink:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts

If we includes me, then no.  :Tounge:

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier

Most of us have been brainwashed in one way or another.

Only if your mind has been washed with the cleaning power of Tide detergent! Other detergents leave behind impure thoughts and memory residue, but Tide gets out 99.9999999999% of brain dirt, for a clean you can feel!!!1!!*

*Warning: Tide detergent does not take any responsibility for accidental brain hemorrhaging, loss of sensation, projectile vomiting, coma or death from trying to apply laundry soap to one's brain. Use only as instructed.

kellbing

kellbing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I just love the way people back up their statements about the bible by referencing bible verses. That's like saying Harry Potter is real because the books say so.

(Yes, I'm a Harry Potter fan. The final book is being delivered tomorrow, and I am going to read my butt off so I can finish it before someone ruins the ending for me. Hence the HP reference. Got it on the brain.  :Smiley:)

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
Enjoy the book!  It's a major literary event of sorts, the end of such an enormously popular series. 

kellbing

kellbing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
The book was very good. I laughed, I cried, I read for 16 hours. 12 one day & 4 the next. I wish there were going to be more. She is such an awesome author. I would love to be able to come up with an idea like that.

I'm hoping to go see the movie this weekend or next if it is still playing. I have two movie gift certificates to use, and that would be the perfect movie to use them on. That or Ratatoullie if HP isn't showing any more.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
It WAS an amazing book. Right After I got it from the midnight sale ( I sat there for 12 hours) I read it for a total of 8:15 minutes in one sitting so I could lend it to my friend. I miss the series already.:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users