Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

American Teenagers Just Say NO to Ridiculous Jeebus Crap

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
EVANGELICAL Christian churches in the United States are facing a demographic timebomb as teenagers turn away from the faith.

Though some congregations draw upwards of 40,000 worshippers, Christian leaders believe their younger flock is being led astray by a combination of cynicism about religion, the influence of rock and rap music and casual attitudes to sex among the MTV generation.

Some population models predict that just four per cent of teenagers will be "Bible-believing Christians" as adults, compared with 35 per cent today, and 65 per cent after the Second World War.

Major figures in the conservative Christian movement including Jerry Falwell joined more than 6,000 pastors from across the US to discuss the phenomena in a series of unprecedented, meetings to be held in 44 cities across the US.

Ron Luce, the founder of Teen Mania, a 20-year-old youth ministry based in Texas, said: "We've become post-Christian America, like post-Christian Europe.

"We've been working as hard as we know how to work

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

the nation's second biggest church...  is building a skateboard park to complement its climbing wall as part of efforts to attract, and keep, teenagers in the faith.

Oh boy - you couldn't make this up Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Big up to the youth of America who are finally recognising all these snake-oil salesmen for what they are.
:fi_lone_ranger:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
But on the other hand you've got those Jesus-brainwashing camps for children, whose sole purpose is to indoctrinate them with the extreme conservative Christian agenda.  I didn't see the documentary, but here's an article on it.

http://abcnews.go.co...=2455343&page=1

What's next?  Are they going to start strapping bombs to these kids' chests and sending them to blow up abortion clinics?

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Like I said before, don't worry about the kids too much. Once they discover sex, all that Jesus stuff goes right down the crapper! [smilie=lick.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=lick.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=lick.gif] [smilie=nod.gif]

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Saddleback, the nation's second biggest church, based on the outskirts of Los Angeles, whose average attendance for worship is over 20,000, is building a skateboard park to complement its climbing wall as part of efforts to attract, and keep, teenagers in the faith.

One of the newer churches here near Daytona Beach has a Youth Division.  Being so near the ocean, they focus on the surfer kids, "Surfers for Jesus".  I'm so tempted to submit a new logo for them portraying a way cool Jeebus with hands nailed to the cross, but his feet nailed to a surfboard and he's hanging ten on a tasty wave and he's shooting the tube in his name, God be praised!!!  I'll make up t-shirts for them and on the back it will say "Darwin don't surf!"

Oh boy....I feel a paintshop coming on!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
We'd love to see your design, if you feel like sharing it.
:cheers:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Could you put a Cavalry colonels hat on Darwin to make him look like Robert Duvall in Apocalypse now? That would be so awesome. Put me down for a XXL.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Okay, here's my design for the new Surf Ministry t-shirt.  Thanks TWC for inspiration!

Front
Posted Image

Back
Posted Image

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Really like your t-shirt. Posted Image

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
THAT'S AWESOME!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
Superb job on the Tshirt, FlatEarth.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Okay Flat Earth! Now you have to forward your shirt design to the church in all sincerety and seriousness and see what kind of response you get. I can hardly wait! :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
FlatEarth, I would SO wear one of those! No joke!

WRT the topic, of course churches are losing younger people by the truckload; the MTV generation was brought up in the infotainment world, saturated with all kinds of sexually liberating messages, feminism (well, anti-sexism), anti-racism, and now anti-homophobia (or, as dorkasaurus rex put it, "virtue terrorism"). For example, most young adults know at least one gay person in his or her life, and see first-hand that gays are people first, who just want to be treated with respect. As a result, they don't buy into the gay-bashing-for-Jeebus that most churches preach, because they see what impact being dehumanized and kicked to the curb has on their gay friends and family.

Young women do NOT like being told that they are inferior because jeebus said so, and both sexes do NOT like being told that enjoying sex is shameful and wrong.

Young peoples nowadays, generally speaking, don't want anything to do with the discriminatory and inflammatory rhetoric that the megachurches try to pump them full of, due to the vast diversity of, and tolerance promoted by, our 21st century society. This is bad in the eyes of the fundys, but good for progress. We've still got a long way to go, though.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Young women do NOT like being told that they are inferior because jeebus said so, and both sexes do NOT like being told that enjoying sex is shameful and wrong.

And we old women don't like being told we are inferior either and we old women don't like being told that enjoying sex is shameful and wrong either.  Posted Image

To be honest I never really felt inferior until I got my computer and read that I was.  :snork_lach:
The young folks know so much today and what they know is just common knowledge to their generation.
I always considered myself well educated etc etc.  But it seems I have had my head in a barrel.  I am stuck back in the 60's somewhere.
As I stated in my initial posts to the forum, the computer has opened up such a new world for me.  It is not because the ideas are new to me.  It is because I have found that so many others have the same ideas and that these ideas were not just some silly things I was thinking.  That's why it is so nice to belong to a forum where I can speak aloud (well write) about them.  I only hope I will have the time and guts to be more of an activist before I am swept up into heaven.  I really am a nice "do unto others" kind of person and I am so afraid I am gonna go to heaven. Posted Image

Another nice thing about belong to this forum...any forum I guess...is that you meet people that you probably would pass up on the street.  Not that you would pass them by intentionally, but you would never dream you had things in common and probably wouldn't even notice them.

I have always been in sympathetic (not in the sorry way) with homosexuals but have never knowingly known any. I would just get angry when I would read about the meanness they face. So it is nice to converse with ungodly.
I do have to say that I read some of the posts here and have no idea what anybody is talking about.

And I laugh that some of you might be laughing that you have never conversed with a sweet little old lady. (Well, I ain't that sweet.) Posted Image

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
You aren't old, you're well seasoned! :snork_lach: You are right though. Lots of nice people here and we intend to keep it that way! The nastiness and petty infiighting some of us have experienced at other forums (I won't mention) aintagonna happen here. I would encourage everyone, myself included, to, if you have a problem with another member, settle your differences through PMs and not bring battles into the forums. We all have to understand that each members ideas and thoughts are valid. And, they have a right to express those opinions here. Unlike the shrubs gummit we encourage debate and questions openly and honestly. I also would like to encourage the use of smileys, as they can help emphasize a persons intent in a conversation much better than words. If you see a comment that seems offensive or demeaning, check to see if there is a smiley attached. It can often times denote if a person is just joking ie ( :snork_lach:) or actually being nasty.

Ungodly is a homo? Huh. Who woulda known? [smilie=gt_grinz-browwiggle.gi (he he he)

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

Ungodly is a homo? Huh. Who woulda known? (he he he)

I knew I should have bought that wrist exercise book! :-)

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
:snork_lach:sthilly sthavage!

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
I met up with a Christian Teenager just receantly, and he is a big influence on a part of our culture. I think the numbers are waning and one day when I am old the population could be an exact oppisite of what it is today.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I met up with a Christian Teenager just receantly, and he is a big influence on a part of our culture. I think the numbers are waning and one day when I am old the population could be an exact oppisite of what it is today.

Hi and welcome TopHat.
Just how old are you now? and how much longer do we have to wait? Posted Image I don't think I have that much time.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
Grade 11 and I'd say it will take a while, about the next baby boom is my guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users