Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I Did Something of Poor Taste

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
I trust all of you here at ANGF, and as you know I am a teenager and can do some weird stuff. April Fool's was just upon us, and I thought of a great joke for it. But as time passes and critique comes upon it I feel that maybe I need to talk to those who teach me the most. I decided for my joke, I was going to come out of the closet. Now I feel this might be a sensitive issue, and I thought that I need to here your opinion's and most of all Ungodly's opinion.

Here is the passage:
Spoiler

Now here is where I must explain somethings:

1. My sexuality is often questioned at school due to my odd nature compared to my friends. I consider myself straight or even neutral. Although I think everyone is bisexual. It's usually because I don't act the same way as them. They'll stare at a chick walking by, I don't even glance up, and I pretty much tend to try to stay away from sexual talk.

2. I think sexuality is sometimes something to joke about. Does it matter if you like a girl or a guy? The product, love matters, not who you love. No one has the right to judge another's relationship, just because they date a certain sex.

3. I got a response to it, saying it was in poor taste, and now I feel unsure.

I don't mean to be a mean guy, and I realize people go through horrendous stuff for coming out of the closet, but am I being mean. That's why I call upon all of you. I need your opinion.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
First of all, it was not offensive in any way as far as I can see.  That is to say that taken within its own context there was nothing that should have offended anyone IMHO.

It was also a fairly convincing read for me, it sounded fairly genuine, except that it lacked any overtly homoerotic tones, you went into no great detail about finding guys attractive.

Now, if we consider it as an April Fool's joke, it seems lacking because there is never a point where you say "Surprise" or "just kidding".

Now, if you really meant it all, if you loved seeing a guy with his shirt off and you really did make out with another guy, then it seems like you are not exclusively heterosexual.  Maybe you're just very Emo.

Your point #2 above hits the target dead center. It does not matter if the person you love is male, or female, or in the process of changing from one to the other. The only tragedy would be if you did not ever love anyone throughout your whole life.

I'm sure that I speak for everyone here when I say that we like you for who you are, not who you love.  And at your age you might be unsure, and that might be normal, and there is no target date for young people to announce their sexual orientation.

I agree that bisexuality is the natural state for many if not most species of primates, us included.  I was married to a biologically female woman, so was my husband.  I thought being married might make me straight, but it didn't. On the other hand I became a father 3 times, so how queer is that?

Dividing people up into gays and straights is a fairly recent social convention.  It may not reflect everyone's reality as often as we think it does.

The only real perversion is being unable to feel love.

As an April Fool's joke it was perhaps weak, but not offensive.  And whichever way you really are, good for you!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
When I was in high school, we convinced a kid into believing we saw his house burning down. Naturally he took off like a bat outa hell to see. Now that was in poor taste.

What you did maybe have been a little bit lame but not worth worrying about. Slap yourself on the head and forget about it. :salut:

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
[color=blue]TopHat, just to clarify

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
[quote]I personally don

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
I know I've mentioned this before, but it is tangentially relevant to this thread and I enjoy being a senile old fart that repeats himself constantly.

When I was a student at a Roman Catholic high school, we had a laughable excuse for sexual education class conducted by a priest who was widely considered a pervert, he was at a bare minimum a very creepy individual.  Naturally they separated the boys from the girls.  So in this class of all boys Father McGuire was talking about how it is normal for teenaged boys to think about sex constantly and to be "afflicted" with spontaneous erections.  This was not sinful as long as you struggled diligently not to dwell on thoughts of sex. 

You were only committing a mortal sin and damning yourself to Hell for all eternity if you deliberately and consciously enjoyed a sexual fantasy or one of those terrible erections.  And of course we were only permitted to touch ourselves down there for the purpose of directing our urine flow, and NOTHING ELSE.  Oh and washing yourself was OK if you did not enjoy it.  Satan wanted us to dwell on these disturbing subjects.

Of course since we were clever enough to have Catholic parents that sent us to Catholic school we could be redeemed of our sins if we told Father McGuire about our sexual thoughts, and heaven forbid pleasurable experiences, in great detail in confession.  It was always dark in the confessional booth too.  At least that old priest never tried to touch me.  But I have not gotten to the best part yet.

Father McGuire told us on more than one occasion that if a teenaged boy did not find himself attracted to girls it might mean that he had "a calling to the priesthood."  In other words, the Catholic Church was actively recruiting latent homosexuals so they could mess with your head in a seminary, and maybe other parts besides your head too, while teaching you that it was perfectly normal and natural to swear off having sex for your entire lifetime.

This illustrated for me that the ruling class of the Catholic Church, the priestly class, was of the perverts, by the perverts, and for the perverts.

It is not unnatural to be gay or lesbian, indeed since homosexuality is observed in nature it is by definition natural - for a percentage of the individual animals in many mammalian species, including human animals.

Now in the real world if a teenager is of a certain age and does not find they are attracted to girls or boys it could indicate a lower than expected level of hormones, or it could also just reflect the fact that their personality is one that focuses more on other aspects of life.  It certainly is not a calling to the priesthood!  Nor is it anything to worry about.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

Father McGuire told us on more than one occasion that if a teenaged boy did not find himself attracted to girls it might mean that he had "a calling to the priesthood." 

Scary!

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
TopHat, it may depend on your age. You are young and have hopefully a lot of life to live.  I have passed the half way mark. I intend to do as many crazy things as I can. Of course crazy to some is sane to others.  I have reached the point where I don't care what people think anymore. Posted Image

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
[quote]I always like to ask myself

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

I just felt as if I had done something completely bad.

[color=blue]
TopHat, I like it that you have a conscience.  I don

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
VIDEO REMOVED

Me having some fun at my local church... :P Enjoy!

Flyers

www.waroneaster.org

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts

That's good work.  It might be too much to expect anybody to be cured immediately of a religious affliction, but sowing seeds of doubt among those abused by superstitious ideas could benefit someone.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Exactly, I was thinking of putting one in Jesus' hand, but was going fast.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

LOL!  LOL!  Oh man, you have courage to do that.

My heart was racing, heavily when I walked up there in front of the 20 people. They thought I was going to read I think, ut then I put the DvD in the metal thing and left.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
Kudos to TopHat! Unfortunately, the people who pick up those flyers will probably cluck their tongues and throw them away without a second thought.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
"Good News, Everyone! I'm a horses bottom!"

"That's not Good News at all!"

My point here is, the War on Easter video won't work anymore, and I'll be coming in less.

This is due to my parents reaction to my flyer escapade.

They say it was wrong for me to do it, and I said I was right. They won't let me on ,and I'm a stubborn mule, but I'll check in as often as possible, even if I am gorunded from leaving the house, or using the computer there. Right now, I'm at school, doing as much as I can.

Luckily my dad only deleted the video off youtube. Once I get access again, I will repost the video, and also submit it to the Atheist Underground, so they have it in case I lose it once more. I have no way to update things on my website, but I was wondering if anyone here could do me a favor.

The person just needs a video camera/webcam and the ability to upload to youtube. I'll PM you my password, and all I ask is that you put up a video saying I can't get to the video camera right now, because of my grounding, and that hopefully the other video will be restored.

Cheers,

TopHat

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Hi TopHat
We or at least I often forget that you are young and still living with parents.  You really do seem as old and sometimes older, more mature, more intelligent, more sophisticated...well you get the idea..than a lot of the Posted Image Posted Imagearound here.  :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

So sorry your project got pulled.  I tried to watch it a few nights ago and it wasn't there. You know we are all behind you here, but do take care. We older ones are really depending on the youth to someday open the topic wide open. Study hard in school so you can one day be a leader and help those who live underground come out freely. And in the mean time use your grounding time to think up some more great projects.  :Wink:

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
[color=blue]TopHat,

I was one of the ones who laughed out loud while watching your video.  Part of the humor was knowing you were a teenager and this was a young person

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
TopHat

I have to agree with StoryBook on this one.  I don't think that what you did was wrong, but I honestly am not comfortable with going against explicit wishes of your parents.

It won't be too much longer before you are legally an adult, in my opinion you are already there on a philosophical level.

I'm sorry you got into trouble over this.  I hope your grounding is brief.

Steve

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I guess I am a bit of a disenter on this one. While what you did was humorus, I don't think it was a good idea. The Church is among other things a private business, if you will. It is a place where Christians gather to worship in peace. Be they wrong or right in their beliefs , I wouldn't want them coming into my home and hiding their pamphlets. Yes they may be delusional and yes they are wrong, but it's their place and they have the right to do what they do without any antagonists or disagreeable tracts. Freedom of religion is a very important and fundamental core principal of our country. Outside of their "Home" it's anyones game, but inside their own home is not the place for you or anyone else to create havoc. Take your parents advice and punishment like a man and play the cards you are dealt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users