Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When Religious Affliction Lead to Sociopathic Mental Illness: The Phelps Clan

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
When we take the psychotic ravings of the Old Testament authors as if they were serious advice about how a person should live, we end up with what is certainly a harmful and self defeating bag of sociopathic spite. Nothing illustrates more clearly the ultimate insanity of the God of Abraham better than America's most hated family, the Phelps clan.

In the 7 YouTube videos that follow, Louie Theroux and his film crew from BBC2 spend time with a family that is at least the most psychotic in America, if not the most hated as well. We bring you the Grandfather of Hatred, Fred Phelps and clan.  If you only vomit once or twice it might take an hour to watch this entire program.

{VIDEOS REMOVED BY YOUTUBE}

There is a popular saying that "Insanity is hereditary, you can get it from your children", as this excellent documentary from the BBC illustrates, parents can also drill insanity into their children.

Spare the religion, save the child.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I'm not going to watch any. Ive already got hypertension.

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
What is the definition of the word

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts

What is the definition of the word ?treason??

Why is the Phelps cult not as bad of a threat as Al-Qaeda?

Of course you have every good reason to be upset with them, but they are just talk.

A real traitor might do something like using a pack of lies to deceive his country into an unnecessary war that can't be won so that his pals at Halliburton could steal taxpayer money. That's treason.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
I'm just glad that a BBC journalist did a study of these lunatics and not an American "journalist." I know that the American would just pat these people on the back and keep feeding them metaphorical question marshmallows, rather than the hard and searching questions Louis threw at them.

the most disturbing part for me was watching one of the girls laugh and smile at the thought of billions of people burning in hell for eternity. It made her genuinely happy. Fred Phelps is beyond insane; I loved how he told Louis that he was evil and hellbound, then wished him luck in the next breath.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
[quote author=Abandoned_Mind link=topic=984.msg5512#msg5512 date=1175822110]
What is the definition of the word

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I saw one of the Phelps women interviewed once, she was defending their talk and actions, but the interviewer wasn't buying any of it, and he wasn't very nice about it, either.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts

...and I still secretly hope one of them takes a clubbing at a funeral protest.

You would not see me crying in my beer if that happened, and it's not just because I don't drink beer either.

But the lesson I think that can be learned from this family is that, once you wrap it up in religion, hatred can be passed down as an incurable infection from one generation to another.  All kinds of faith-based delusions are extremely dangerous and can easily be used to manipulate those afflicted with religious beliefs into doing evil deeds.

In one scene in the documentary a small car with its license plate covered drives by a Phelps clan demonstration and the passenger throws a fast food beverage at the Phelps group. Unfortunately a seven year old Phelps grandchild takes the hit.  It is obviously wrong to do violence to children, but it is a greater crime to teach children hatred and pretend it is sacred.

Gramps, as he is lovingly called by those he has abused, is a child molester of the worst kind.  He has deprived his entire clan of the innocent joys of childhood.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I just learned over at the SAB news page that Phelps was the inspiration for a "horror" movie baddy:

http://p099.ezboard....icID=1684.topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
Michael Moore has a few things to say about Fred Phelps

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'm surprised they survived that trip, it took real guts to confront those bastards. Homophobes can be very dangerous!

If going to Hell means to be nowhere near those evil hatemongers, I'm looking forward to it.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
In some very good news, the Phelps' Church of God's Perfect Hate lost a lawsuit today with a judgment of 2.9 million dollars against them.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

It could not have happened to a lower form of life.

The case involved a protest at the funeral of a gay soldier. Human beings do not like the Church of God's Perfect Hate.

(story)

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
OOohh, schadenfreude, my old friend.... :smt077

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts

OOohh, schadenfreude, my old friend.... :smt077

It's like eating 20 pounds of fine quality dark chocolate but without your blood sugar going through the roof.  It's like Christmas on Halloween.  It's time to ParrTeee!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
Mmmmm, new type of Fred Phelps signage:

[img width=600 height=406]http://aintnogod.com/atheist/gallery/2_01_11_07_7_41_02.jpg[/img]

"Oh Schadenfreude"
(sung to the tune of Oh Christmas Tree)

Oh Schadenfreude, oh Schadenfreude
We hate this mother fucker
Make him a chicken plucker

He needs the cash, he needs it bad
His suffering makes us feel glad

His dogma now seems made of glass