Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Atheist alternative to "godparent"?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

GodlessInNV

GodlessInNV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
After my sister's first kid was baptized (she made our other sister the godmother), she said I would be godmother of the next one.  Well, my sister is pregnant again.  She knows I'm an atheist.  Religion doesn't play a very big role in her life, even though she's a theist.  (We were all raised Catholic.)  I don't mind standing up in front of everyone, even in a church, to promise to see to the spiritual well-being of my nephew, but I will not recite religious blather nor make any promises to go to church or tell the child I believe in god.  I'm just not sure how to broach the subject with her.  I would love to hear about your experiences as atheist godparents or how you came up with an alternative to all the religious stuff.  Thanks!

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Alternative guardians.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Welcome to the forum, GodlessInNV!

I've never seen this come up before.  It is an interesting dilemma. If you agree to be the GodMother you'll have to be present at the child's baptism.  One thing you might do is go along with all the woo woo now, but when your nephew begins to be curious about religion you could ask him to think of you as a spiritual mother instead of a GodMother.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Hi Godless, welcome to the zoo. I see this problem as one simply of language.  "Seeing to the spiritual well being" for someone has nothing to do with God, or any belief in God.  I consider myself and many folks here as very spiritual without being religious. Think about that a bit.

As far as the "ceremony" it's all just a dog and pony show anyway. It is not a legal situation and has all the real signifigance as a 3 year olds birthday party. If you want to stand on your principles tell them what you told us but, then you will have to play the cards you have dealt. On the other hand you can "Bluff" recite the words yadda yaddda bing bang, and everyone goes home happy. The important thing is when the child becomes "of age" you should be their "spiritual advisor" and when he/she asks the big questions, give them honest and open answers.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Hello GodlessInLV,

I definitely sympathize with your plight.  I consider myself one of the stronger atheists (in another forum I've been called Fundy and militant) and would agonize over this myself in your position.  But consider...if you go, it costs you an hour of discomfort, which another hour later you will have forgotten about.  If you don't, you risk years or perhaps an entire lifetime of resentment from people you love. 

Best thing is probably to just think of as a role in a play...heck, in Hollywood I bet 80% of the priests and nuns are played by Atheists.  Just go, read your lines, exit stage left, and get out of character as quickly as possible.  You'll have another 8-10 years before you have to worry about confirmations and such, and you can use that time to lay the foundation for not playing along any further.

GodlessInNV

GodlessInNV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all the great advice!  I'm not crazy about the idea of reciting words I don't mean and making promises I will not keep, but I will deal with that when it comes. 

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
Welcome, GodlessInNV!

Your sister knows you are an atheist yet she still wants you as a godparent so that is an important point to remember.  What exactly is the definition of a godparent for you and for your sister? 

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hi Godless! Welcome to our humble abode!

heck, in Hollywood I bet 80% of the priests and nuns are played by Atheists.

Heck, I bet 80% of priests and nuns in the Vatican are played by atheists!  :snork_blin:

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Hi Godless! Welcome to our humble abode!

heck, in Hollywood I bet 80% of the priests and nuns are played by Atheists.

Heck, I bet 80% of priests and nuns in the Vatican are played by atheists!  :snork_blin:

D'OH! :snork_updo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users