Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[News] Supermarket survey shows how people exaggerate their religious adherence

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Supermarket survey shows how people exaggerate their religious adherence<p>A survey for Somerfield supermarket shows that one-in-six 16 to 24-year-olds (15 per cent) know nothing about what Good Friday means in religious terms. And 10 per cent are in the dark about Easter Sunday, too, which, for Christians, marks the supposed resurrection of Jesus.</p>http://feeds.feedbur...howpeoplee.html

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Would it be sacreligious to eat fried rabbit on Easter?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Would it be sacreligious to eat fried rabbit on Easter?

No, I don't think so.  At least not if you made a melted Chocolate Jesus dessert to go with.  I think the naughty bits on a Chocolate Jesus leave a nice aftertaste, but heck, there is no accounting for people's tastes.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
This is a couple of years old, but I figure it's still relevant:

http://news.uns.purd...Chreasters.html

Ministers see holiday as time to reach out to 'Chreasters'
By Bob Scott , Journal and Courier

March 25, 2005

This weekend, churches will see the return of C&E Christians, or "Chreasters" -- people who generally only worship on Christmas and Easter.

For local pastors, Easter -- the holiest day of the Christian calendar -- is an opportunity to impress those who don't regularly attend church.

"It is a welcomed pressure to reach out to people to help them connect," said Pastor Paul Barrett of Second Baptist Church. "Easter is one of the biggest days for outreach to people who don't regularly come to church."

Across the nation, overall church attendance increases about 25 percent on Easter, said Jim Davidson, a Purdue professor of philosophy and religion. "For Catholics, it goes up 33 percent, while Protestants see a 20 percent increase."

Fred and Lillian Phillips of Lafayette were raised as churchgoers but said their most recent visit to church was a year ago. They plan to take her elderly mother to Armstrong Chapel in Warren County on Easter Sunday.

"Politics and religion start more arguments than anything," he said. "I don't have anything against religion.

"I go to different churches to see what they do. On main holidays, we go to different denominations."

He said they might attend the 6:45 a.m. Easter sunrise service at Riehle Plaza in downtown Lafayette.

Fred Phillips said he left a Methodist church because members were unforgiving of an adulterous affair between two other people.

"My problem is not with a church, but the people," he said. "The church is involved with people who seem to have non-Christian alliances.

"I've been hesitant about joining any group. The churches are in turmoil."Barrett said Second Baptist is glad to see more people in the pews, no matter the reason.

"If it takes Easter for them to be there, I welcome the opportunity," he said. "Whatever it takes."

Second Baptist will have extra singing and a special drama at 5 p.m. Sunday. An overflow crowd of 300-plus is expected at the Easter morning service. To handle the anticipated crowd, a closed-circuit telecast will be carried to people in the church's fellowship hall.

"Some people show up for Easter and think it is the same ol' same ol', " Barrett said. "But they come and see the excitement. It may re-kindle new interest."

The Rev. Daniel Gartland agreed.

"I know there are people who only come on Christmas and Easter," said Gartland, the pastor of St. Lawrence Catholic Church and the head of the Lafayette Deanery. "I'm glad they are in the church and still consider themselves Catholic and Christian. I want them to feel comfortable and at home in our church."

The Rev. Catherine Moran, pastor of Elston Presbyterian Church, said church is not a "spectator sport."

"It is something to participate in. They must feel drawn to be there," she said. "It is all about finding that sense of home and family.

"You know that is where you are meant to be."

She said that a normal Sunday service has about 75 people in attendance. On Easter, it rises to more than 100.

"What they see on Easter morning is what we do all year," Moran said, adding that Easter and Christmas offer people hope.

"We give people a picture of a God being a loving, caring God," she said. "Hopefully, they will continue to come. Maybe it will spark some interest.

"I let them know there is no judging where I'm at. If you feel it (the spirit), come in. If not, find it somewhere else."

Plenty of room

Moran said the Sunday after Easter is usually the year's smallest attendance at her church.
"People often will say, 'We've gone on Easter, and I can take the rest of the year off,' " she said with a laugh.

Pastor Peg Nowling of First Baptist Church calls that day "low Sunday."

"At my church in Rochester, New York, we put a sign out front that said, 'Open between Easter and Christmas,' " she said.

Nowling said many people view church on Sunday as an "option."

"My suspicion is that people aren't finding time for church," she said. "They keep saying, 'I know I should be at church because I would get something out of it.'

"They tell me that they are tired and want to sleep."

For Nowling and others, the Easter message is simple.

"The Resurrection is hope," she said. "People come because they know what the message will be."

"We give people a picture of a God being a loving, caring God," she said. "Hopefully, they will continue to come. Maybe it will spark some interest.

Yeah, just like political advertisements give a picture of political candidates that are appealing, not what they're really like. They portrayed GW Bush as a very nice guy, someone you'd have fun drinking with!

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Here's another interesting article about church attendance:

Poll: Church attendance has slipped

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
Hank Henry would be well advised to attach date information to his web postings.  The only clue to the date of that article seems to be a reference to the year 2006 in the footer.

I have news for Hank, it has gone down even more.  Ha ha.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yeah, I looked for a date too, but couldn't find any more than you did.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

At least not if you made a melted Chocolate Jesus dessert to go with.

I think we are on to something here. How about a white chocolate Jesus on a chocolate cross? Of course the Jesus would have to be as hollow as all the promises he made, but the cross could be solid. How about some little red  :snork_lach:candy spikes and people could have their own little crucifixion? Then when you got tired of him just hanging around, you could bite off his arms and legs and play the black night from the holy grail! This sounds like a computer art project for FlatEarth!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
That does sound fun and tasty!  If you included his mommy too, you could have Extra Virgin Chocolate!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

Extra Virgin Chocolate!

That would have to be made from "Pink as an untouched pussy chocolate" Do they make that? Where the hell is FlatEarth? This has to be done by a professional.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
Plus, if we want to sell these religious-themed desserts to any clergy persons, ewe should get some chocolate altar boy treats too.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
How about advertising on communion wafers? Maybe we could make them out of corn chip flour, put a bit of spicy seasoning on there and emboss a little taco bell! Wash it down with a taste of Margharita faux Jesus blood instead of bad wine.  :drunken_smilie1:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
When I was a kid, they used Welch's grape juice for our communion "wine". I thought it was a big rip-off, and I still can't stand the stuff to this day.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

Welch's grape juice

In Seminary they called it "New Wine" No matter, I wouldn't drink it no matter what they called it.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
I like Welch's grape juice, but it certainly is nothing like wine.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
Or you could have an altar boy carrying a tray with a selection of gourmet wafer thin Jesus meat slices that  have various flavorings added, sort of kicking the cannibalism up a notch.  Imagine being asked by your local child-molester if you'd like worcestestershire sauce, A1, Grey Poupon, or Heinz ketchup with your Jesus.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Extra Virgin Chocolate!

That would have to be made from "Pink as an untouched pussy chocolate" Do they make that? Where the hell is FlatEarth? This has to be done by a professional.

Well, this was a rush job, but at least it has a cherry center!

Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
'Tis brilliant Squire!

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ha! It's more than merely brilliant, it's fuckin' hilarious!  :smt042 :smt043 :smt042

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users