Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

U.S. divorce rates for various faith groups...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
Does anyone know if the data at the link below is accurate??  A new study by the Barna Research Group claims that atheists/agnostics have a lower divorce rate than religious people.  I was particularly interested in this quote:

"Since Atheist ethics are of a higher caliber than religious morals, it stands to reason that our families would be dedicated more to each other than to some invisible monitor in the sky.  With Atheism, women and men are equally responsible for a healthy marriage.  There is no room in Atheist ethics for the type of 'submissive' nonsense preached by Baptists and other Christian and/or Jewish groups.  Atheists reject, and rightly so, the primitive patriarchal attitudes so prevalent in many religions with respect to marriage."
Full article at:
http://www.religious...rg/chr_dira.htm

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I'm familiar with that website and I believe it is legitimate, but I don't know about this study in particular.

I bet the divorce rate is even lower among gay atheists. It's hard enough to find another atheist to have and to hold, but when you have to find an atheist that is also a Friend of Dorothy the field of possible candidates is quite small.  Amazon doesn't even have replacement gay atheists, so one is strongly motivated to keep your current spouse in such a situation.  And of course atheists are so much more sensible, it tends to be easier to get along with them anyway.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

I bet the divorce rate is even lower among gay atheists.

[color=blue]
I didn

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I think there is a survival value involved in males being promiscuous and females being selective about their partners. So I think that all males tend to be promiscuous, it's just that the promiscuity of heterosexual males tends to be limited by the selective behavior of females.

There are gay men who are promiscuous and there are gay men that are monogamous.  Naturally we would expect the incidence of monogamy to be highest among those who pair up in couples.

I find a disappointingly high number of gay men who are still afflicted with religious beliefs,  There may be a higher percentage of agnostics and atheists among gay men, but it is not high enough.  There are even gay christian churches, most famously the MCC.   As far as I am concerned, the only good religion is a dead religion.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
It's interesting that this should come up tonight. Earlier this evening I went with my wife to her dance class. I had promised her I would go so I did. While there I saw a woman in her class that I recognized but could not remember from where. During the break my wife told me the lady was a Methodist minister. Somehow I already knew that and I also knew that she was somehow involved with a Lesbian group but I couldn't place where I knew her from. After the class I walked up to her and introduced myself. The first thing she said was she recognized me as well but also didn't remember where from. We tried to put it together by comparing pasts but it wouldn't come. Anyway she has been with her partner for well over 20 years and they have a very monogamus relationship. As I drove home it suddenly dawned on me. She was an army chaplain while I worked for the government! She was and still is a very cool lady and she is the best example of how folks of the same sex can have loving, caring monogamus relationships while leading very worthwhile lives. Army chaplains have some of the worst jobs in the world and it is the one tiny piece of the religious community that I have a lot of respect for. Straight couples could learn a lot from this woman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users