Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RIP Kurt Vonnegut

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
America lost a brilliant citizen this week. Kurt Vonnegut passed away as a result of brain injuries suffered in a fall.  He was a man with tremendous insight and skill, and his novels had a tremendous influence on me.  As a veteran of the European theatre in WWII he was a member of my father's generation and was deeply affected by the atrocities he saw.

I feel as though I have become unstuck in time more and more these days, Kurt helped me to understand that phenomenon.

His pacifism was based on the realities of war, and reflected in nearly everything he wrote.

Thanks Kurt. You did many good things in your time.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yeah, I too have enjoyed his work, never read anything of his that I didn't like. He'll definitely be missed.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
For those who may not be familiar with the works of Kurt Vonnegut, I've configured my Great Books to Buy Amazon associate store to display a list of his novels on the home page.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
1.  What was your favorite, most enjoyable book by Vonnegut?

2.  Which Vonnegut book influenced you the most?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I haven't by any means read all of his work, but I've greatly enjoyed those I have. I recently reread Slaughterhouse 5 and The Sirens of Titan.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

1.  What was your favorite, most enjoyable book by Vonnegut?

2.  Which Vonnegut book influenced you the most?

I think that Slaughterhouse Five was my favorite.

Certainly Slaughterhouse Five had the most influence on me, as it contributed to my lifelong anti-war philosophy.  Although the book was not released until after I had already refused induction into the US Army and written my full confession in which I offered to come back as often as the Gummint wanted to refuse induction again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users