Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Imus slam-dunked by Ho's

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
So...CBS gives Don Imus the doorknob in the ass treatment for his comments about the Rutgers Women Basketball team.

Thoughts anyone?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I thought his apology seemed sincere and adequate. I think the original plan of a 2 week suspension might have been more than the incident required.

He was wrong to call those basketball players names, he did seem to be quite sincere in his apology, I think he was only let go because of negative feedback from advertisers.

I believe the punishment far exceeded the crime in this case.  We have to be prepared to forgive people, or else we will always be angry.

It is not my intention to defend the comments he made originally, they were racist and racism should not be tolerated.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
I'm sure CBS's move had more to do with corporate pressure and appeasement of the black community more than any supposed moral high-ground, but I actually do think it was the right move.

Someone in another forum said I suffer from "white man's guilt".  I deny that charge.  I simply do not believe that in 2007 we should tolerate slurs of any kind, especially those made by people with the power to reach millions of listeners.  These young women (by all accounts decent girls and good students) perform far beyond expectations and bring pride to their school, only to have some decrepit old white guys make sport of them and call them names, in the process belittling two entire demographic groups with one breath, and people are shocked that there is a comeuppance?

That's what shocks me...that we're shocked.  Racism and gender bashing are so ingrained in the culture that when someone who ought to know better is called to the carpet for his actions, we claim it blown out of proportion.  Why?  Because he was giggling when he said it?  Maybe the words themselves were relatively mild, and maybe not meant with malice.  That's irrelevant.  Would jigaboo sluts have been bad enough?  How about porch-monkey trollops?  No...it's the casual use of racial and gender slurs that are really in question here.

I think a message needed to be sent, that in this day and age you cannot go on the radio representing yourself, a broadcast company, and sponsors with multi-million dollar investments tied to your voice and say what amounts to "Ni66er prostitutes" over the air.  Michael Savage was fired by MSNBC for his rants against gays, so there is precedence for this.  Imus should have known better, as should his on-air posse who egged him on.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

I simply do not believe that in 2007 we should tolerate slurs of any kind, especially those made by people with the power to reach millions of listeners.   

I have no problem with your position but out of curiosity, do you think Mel Gibson should be blackballed from the movie industry for what he said about Jews?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I listen to progressive radio a lot, and lately every single show I've heard has been about nothing but this Imus guy. I'm sick of it.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I simply do not believe that in 2007 we should tolerate slurs of any kind, especially those made by people with the power to reach millions of listeners. 

I have no problem with your position but out of curiosity, do you think Mel Gibson should be blackballed from the movie industry for what he said about Jews?

That is an interesting question.  A point first, though.

It is not my position that Imus be "blackballed".  I don't believe anyone should be barred from earning a living.  I think he should sit quietly for a period until he appears adequately chastened, and then apply for and receive a position commensurate with his abilities and popularity.  I don't think he'll ever speak to 50 million listeners again, but certainly he should be allowed to express himself over the air, provided he takes this lesson with him.

Now...to Mel Gibson.  If you are referring to his anti-semitic ravings during his arrest, then the answer is no.  He should not be punished formally by the movie industry.  His comments were not made under the Universal Pictures or 20th Century Fox banners, so these organizations have no right to censure him.  We as movie goers should avoid his future work to avoid giving our implied acceptance to his foul ideas.  But, no.  Hollywood has no recourse against him in this case.

If you are referring to Passion of the Christ, the answer is also no.  He is careful to mask his anti-semitism under the guise of "interpretation" of "historical" accounts.  See...HE isnt saying this.  The bible is.  He's just telling the story as he understands it.  Now, if he had included a prologue that read "2000 years ago, those worthless Jew bastards got their yarmulkes all in an uproar, and these motherless Hebes...", then Fox can kick his bigoted ass down the block and make it so he never works again.  But since everything is subtle and open to 'interpretation', there is no solid ground to either censor or censure him.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I personnaly don't have an opinion. I could care less about what some radio jock says about anyone. Let the market decide and I guess it has. He fucked up so he has to pay the price and what that is, isn't my call anyway.

The problem I have with this kind of nonsense is would people react the same way if it were people of other colors, nationalities, genders etc? If this Imus guy were a black man and the women he reffered to were all white, and he called them; Dumb bleach-blonde white trash mamas, do you think the reaction would have been as great? Does anyone think Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson would have jumped in and defended them? Probably not. Everyone has an agenda and it's stupid crap like this that allows them to spout off and preach their gospel. I have probably heard the word nigger used more times than anyone on this forum. In certain situations I would hear that word used at least 100 times a day. It was typically used by black guys but many white guys said it as well and it didn't offend anyone. It was just another term used to describe the grunts in the field. Every name can be offensive if used in a certain context but that doesn't mean it was meant to be offensive. This guy is a fucking radio jock, not a diplomat or moral leader. Give me a break. If every person who said something stupid lost their job over it we would probably all be on the bread line.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

The problem I have with this kind of nonsense is would people react the same way if it were people of other colors, nationalities, genders etc?

I seem to recall a recent case when a certain military leader decided he was a TV Evangelist too and he started ragging on faggots.   I'm sure y'all recall that incident.   He did not seem to be fired or even reprimanded by his boss, Our Glorious Christian Leader.  Of course he was not referring to black faggots, that would have been racist.

Give me a break. If every person who said something stupid lost their job over it we would probably all be on the bread line.

This is a good point,  I sure would have starved years ago if I was not able to get away with being a dumbass.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I personnaly don't have an opinion. I could care less about what some radio jock says about anyone. Let the market decide and I guess it has. He fucked up so he has to pay the price and what that is, isn't my call anyway.

The problem I have with this kind of nonsense is would people react the same way if it were people of other colors, nationalities, genders etc? If this Imus guy were a black man and the women he reffered to were all white, and he called them; Dumb bleach-blonde white trash mamas, do you think the reaction would have been as great? Does anyone think Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson would have jumped in and defended them? Probably not. Everyone has an agenda and it's stupid crap like this that allows them to spout off and preach their gospel. I have probably heard the word nigger used more times than anyone on this forum. In certain situations I would hear that word used at least 100 times a day. It was typically used by black guys but many white guys said it as well and it didn't offend anyone. It was just another term used to describe the grunts in the field. Every name can be offensive if used in a certain context but that doesn't mean it was meant to be offensive. This guy is a fucking radio jock, not a diplomat or moral leader. Give me a break. If every person who said something stupid lost their job over it we would probably all be on the bread line.

You're right about other nationalities, races and genders.  It does seem a bit unfair to focus on one guy when "everybody" is doing it about everyone else.  And yet, is each journey not a culmination of single steps?  You cannot reach the end unless you start someplace.  So taken singly, perhaps Imus is taking more heat than he himself on this particular day deserves.  But if 20 years from now we can look back on the case of Imus and know that it furthered public awareness and sensitivity to others, I believe it will have been worth it.

Maybe this case dies and nobody is the wiser and none the better.  But maybe this case marks a turning point.  Let's wait and see...and hope.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I seem to recall a recent case when a certain military leader decided he was a TV Evangelist too and he started ragging on faggots.  I'm sure y'all recall that incident.  He did not seem to be fired or even reprimanded by his boss, Our Glorious Christian Leader.  Of course he was not referring to black faggots, that would have been racist.

I also recall someone taking great offense to those comments and nearly abandoning his friends in his rage, so perhaps we should understand the public outcry and be on board with these protests and their result.  Perhaps the peripheral effect of Imus's firing will be that people in a public forum will have to consider their words when speaking about others, and that the gay community can benefit collaterally by the focus on race and gender.  If I were a prominent member of the gay community I would not be too proud to milk this situation.  This is a perfect opportunity to speak out about the prevalence of stereotyping and hate on the airwaves.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
You make some good points FlatEarth. As I said if he has done wrong in the eyes of those who employ him and the advertisers and such, let the market decide. Racial slurs and degrading remarks have been a part of life forever and maybe someday it will be a thing of the pst, but for now it is still with us. My point is this guy, Imus, is a fucking talk show host. So who is he that this is such a big deal? I am not nor have I ever been afflicted with being star struck or paid much attention to what some actor or movie star says. Their opinions are not critical to anything I can see. A couple years ago the Dixie Chicks were practically banned from Nashville, now they are fucking heros. Who gives a shit? Celebrities saying or doing stupid things is what hollywood is all bout. Next thing you know this Imus will be on satelite radio raking in the cash like Howard Stern. :snork_lach:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users