Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CoC Preacher Slayer On Trial

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
He hee, preacher slayer. That should be a spin-off of Buffy. Anyhoo, on a much more serious note, Mary Winkler, the wife of grade-A asshole loving husband Matthew Winkler, went on trial this week for shooting her husband in his church.

Now, just as a disclaimer here, this woman committed murder in cold blood, and must be held accountable for it. I wholeheartedly believe that. However, I believe this woman was most likely a victim of abuse, and here are my reasons:

"It's just a lot of stupid stuff," she said. "I love him dearly, but gosh, he just nailed me in the ground. ... The first of our marriage, I just took it like a mouse, didn't think anything different. My mom just took it from my dad -- that stupid scenario."

Winkler told Alabama Bureau of Investigation agent Stan Stabler on the tape that her husband had threatened her physically. "He said something that really scared me. I don't know, something life-threatening," she said, without elaborating further.

But she also says she doesn't want her husband's name smeared.

"He was so good, so good, too. It was just a weakness. I think a lot of times he had high blood pressure that he'd never go enough to the doctor to get medicine for it. He was a mighty fine person, and that's the thing," she said.

"Just say, 'The lady was a moron, evil woman,' and let's go on with it. That's fine. ... That's my point of view."

The major thing that jumps out at me here is her vehement defense of her husband, and her own self-loathing words. This is actually a classic sign of abuse; many victims will defend the abuser and blame themselves.

I also know from personal observation that many CoC women try to be Stepford wives, and try to live up to that blasted Psalm in the babble describing a "virtuous woman." After trying to plaster a smile on your face while dear hubby berates you for the 1000th time, you might have a breakdown too.

It does not surprise me one bit that a CoC minister was probably domineering, controlling and abusive. Fundamentalism tends to bring out the really ugly side of people through sexual repression and fear. i wish someone would've gotten Mrs. Winkler some help.

My grandmother was a CoC minister's wife, and he wouldn't let her get a driver's license, spend any money without making her cry afterward, or wear pants outside of the house. She to this day still believes he was a wonderful man.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
This is such a sad situation especially for the children.

Force, did your grandmother ever realize how controlling/bullying her husband was?

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier

This is such a sad situation especially for the children.

Force, did your grandmother ever realize how controlling/bullying her husband was?

Nope, she thought it was par for the course in all marriages. Granted, there were some good aspects of my grandpa's personality, and he mellowed out a bit in his old age, but he was still kind of cranky all the time. She misses him a lot because she clings to an idealized memory of him while forgetting all the times she wasn't so happy. It's weird, but I keep my mouth shut, because she's happy in those memories and it's none of my business. She got her driver's license at the age of 70 years, 6 months after my grandpa died.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

She got her driver's license at the age of 70 years, 6 months after my grandpa died.

GOOD FOR HER!! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,712 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
If the facts available now are true and nothing of major importance is yet unknown, then I'd have to agree that this would not have happened if the deceased was not an abusive asshole in Jesus' name.  But this woman unfortunately took the wrong approach to solving the problem.  It is easy to believe that she had been abused so badly that she perceived she had no other option, but in fact she did have other options.

We need to do a better job in our school systems teaching people how to recognize an abusive relationship, and making them aware that our society is willing to help.

When people use religious bullshit to justify their criminal behavior it is much more sinister than just being a criminal, it is cowardly and unmanly to act this way.

I have no sympathy for the deceased, but his wife clearly seems to have committed a felony crime.

Women need to be taught that men have a very vulnerable spot where they can be kicked or kneed when necessary. And women especially need to be taught that there is no reason why they should put up with abusive crap from cowardly men.

Real men beat up politicians, not women.  Women politicians maybe should be dealt with on a case by case basis.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Fuck him. Got what he deserved. I feel moderately sorry for her but in this day and age any woman who lives in that type of situation isn't playing with a full deck. It's those kids that are the ones that wil pay for their parents stupidity. That is the tragedy here. Forceys grandma was from a different generation of less enlightened women and likely knew no different. I had an aunt in a similar situation and when uncle schmucknuts finally croaked she went out and had a ball!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users