Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm moving! :-)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
Exciting news! My husband and I are finally moving into a house on the first of May. I'm so excited to be getting out of the crappy apartment we having been living in for a year. No more annoying up stairs neighbors and incompetent maintenance crews. It's a nice quiet neighborhood. The next couple of weeks are going to be so long because I can't wait to move in!  :snork_tanz:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Congratulations!  It's wonderful having your own place.  I hope you get good Internet access.

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
We are planning on getting it hooked up as soon as we can. Right now all of our money is going towards the deposit and first months rent.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
May the bluebird of happiness build her nest in your new home!  :Happy:

:snork_tanz:

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
Thank you!  The days are going slooooooowwww.

We are going to have a back yard and I want to get a puppy. Any suggestions about what kind we should get? My hubby wants a good guard dog and I want one with a good personality. Do you guys know any that are a good combination of both?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'd recommend a Border Collie, the ones I've known were both smart and affectionate, and good guard dogs. Great with children, too, I might add.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Does your husband actually want a guard dog capable of attacking intruders, or does he just want a good watch dog that will sound the alarm about intruders? Typically good "Guard dogs" are not real good pets. They can be aggresive to strangers and remember, anyone they haven't met yet is a stranger, even your friends and neighbors. Think about size too. Big dogs make big poops. Big dogs dig big holes and big dogs cost more to feed. I would say a good watch dog is a better choice. My step dad raised Border Collies and they are great dogs but, if they aren't raised around children, they can be a bit agressive. They are after all stock dogs and bred to protect the stock. Borders require a lot of attention as well as they are extremely inteligent and easily bored. If you have never owned a dog then I wouldn't suggest a Terrier either. They are demanding, stubborn and bullheaded and not easily trained. I know I own three of them but I like a dog with a lot of sassy personality and a brave heart. Refine your wants a bit more and we will come up with something perfect.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
I was waiting to let some of the folks with more knowledge of dogs answer Lacy.  I had an aunt that had a border collie and it was a fantastic dog, very good with us kids, very predictable and tolerant of the way kids will push their luck with a pet.

They usually are just big enough to intimidate a bad guy too.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
How about this killer!
Posted Image

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I'd recommend a Border Collie, the ones I've known were both smart and affectionate, and good guard dogs. Great with children, too, I might add.

And if they are anything like my ex-inlaws Border Collie, they won't physically intimidate an intruder, but they might hump his leg or nuzzle his crotch until the police arrive.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Posted ImagePosted Image Then again, why settle for one!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Are you sure you want a puppy?
Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts

Are you sure you want a puppy?
Posted Image

I hope that poor little puppy was not blamed for that awful mess.  It's obvious that the puppy simply discovered a mess that was there already.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
Puppies are adorable.  I'd love to hold this puppy in the picture.  I think Cesar Milan has guidelines on selecting the right dog for your temperament, your lifestyle and your family.  You can check out his book at the library.

Attached Thumbnails

• Puppy.jpg

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Posted Image

Another "innocent" puppy

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
I can never see the pictures see the pictures you post Coyote. I think I will have to discuss it further with my husband. I think having a dog that barks is probably intimidating enough. I personally want a sweet dog. Any pet that I get eventually becomes my spoiled rotten baby. I want to get a puppy because I have a two year old step son and a cat. I prefer to raise a puppy around them so he/she accustomed to them when he/she grows up.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
You can't see the pictures? You may need to turn off your blocker for this site. A barker is easier and more available than a guard dog and a lot less aggresive. Terriers are great watchdogs but they are Terriers and care must be taken when training one to not break their spirit. Our Cairn is a great little dog, alert, bold and loves . . . no . . LOVES kids! They are also portable 15lbs and they do not shed or smell at all.

Go to http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/ and you can see thousands of dogs and the AKC site is great for learning about the different flavors.

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
I can't turn it off. I'm at work and I don't have the admin rights. For some reason some pictures I can see and some I can't.

The hardest thing is going to be finding a dog that my husband and I both agree on. We may have to end up getting two.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I have 4 pooches and it is a handful at times. But 2 isn't too bad if you get them trained early. I wouldn't get 2 of great size difference though as that can be dangerous for the little one. Our Terriers are all within a pound or two in size and the Bassette Hound is, well, not like a real dog. She's more like comedy relief. Don't forget to factor in the outside/inside question and the grooming and health maintenance issue. I spend upwards of $50 to $75 a month on my dogs vet and grooming bills. (And that's with me cutting their hair.) I love almost all breeds so it would be difficult for me to help you decide but I am sure if you take time to really study it you'll end up with a good one. Don't forget that some of the best dogs can be found right at your local shelter too. That's where I got Copper, my Bassett and she's as sweet as they come. (Dumb as a sack of hammers, but sweet as sugar.)

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
My daughter and her husband-to-be have 2 dogs, she rescued both of them.  They are my grandpuppies I suppose.  These dogs are boisterous and excitable but they are well cared for and happy.

I can't say what breed they are, I think they are mutts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users