Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My nerves are a little frayed right now...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
Hi guys, I just need to talk right now, and it's cool if no one responds, cuz I just need to type. I'm finding it hard to see the keys on the keyboard because the tears are blurring up my vision.

Virginia Tech shooting kills 33

I know it's silly, but I can't help but think about what it must have been like to go to class just like every other day and get shot. What were they thinking as they huddled in their lecture halls wondering if they were going to die? What were their last thoughts as they bled out from gunshot wounds surrounded by desks on the cold linoleum floors? What was it like to watch their classmates die? They were my age. It was just another day on campus, and they died horrible deaths. Were any of them thinking yesterday that today might be their last day as they studied for exams or wrote their papers?

You just never know, I guess. They were my age. They were students just like me. And none of them saw it coming. Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. I am so nauseous right now. Holy shit.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm getting all existential now.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Hugs!!!

Virginia Tech is a very fine and highly respected school, it's not a place where you'd expect to find looney people.  I'm sure there are thousands of students and their families rejoicing about the survivors.  And I know how it feels to lose a child suddenly like this.  Nothing could possibly be worse, nothing.

Times like these are when we should cherish the people that we love, because death can come at any time for any person.  Birth is a death sentence.

Thanks to the Vietnam War I had a chance to do lots of serious thinking about life and death, and I realized one night that since I was absolutely, positively going to die - the only thing that mattered was how true I was to my own values while I was still alive.

Accepting my own mortality gave me the courage to do what I knew I had to do.  It's OK that we have to die, it's the ultimate freedom.

These poor young people were robbed today by a very, very sick man.  It's their families that need our support now.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Whenever I see or hear of this type of situation the first thing I think is, "I wish I had been there. Maybe I could have done something." Because of my training and experience I always feel guilty. I know there is no way to predict what will happen and when but that doesn't change a persons heart.

The only small comfort I can offer is we must remember that the dead know nothing. It is those that are left behind that are to suffer and they are where we must focus our caring now.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
Sweet Force!  I'm sending you hugs too, along with Ungodly. 

GodlessInNV

GodlessInNV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The Force, you are not silly!  You're human.  More human than all those fundie wackos who claim that this was all a part of god's plan, that we can't understand "his" ways, blah, blah, blah.  That's what's making me sick right now--these young people had life torn from them and the survivors stand around with candles and rosaries, talking to themselves instead of speaking out and making sure this never happens again.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

survivors stand around with candles and rosaries, talking to themselves instead of speaking out and making sure this never happens again.

The problem is it won't even be the survivors. It will be a bunch of kneelers milling around babbling about accepting these poor bastards into heaven or some such nonsense. The shrub was even in on it but I notice he didn't say a frigging thing about gun control or weapons registration. Imagine that?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ah, but almost the first words out of his mouth were intended to placate the NRA gun lobby.

http://news.yahoo.co...a_tech_shooting

A White House spokesman said        President Bush was horrified by the rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of Virginia. "The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said

Prayer and gun right's, yep.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada

Video on the top of youtube. Shoddy quality, but a look from a messed up angle. I'm scared, yes I am.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
You are just as likely to have a house fall on you as you are to be shot up on a school campus.  There are 20 million students in North America that are not criminally insane and dso not want to kill anybody at all, let alone you specifically.

Fear can keep you alive, fear has a reason to exist.  But it is not so good to be very much afraid of things that are extremely unlikely to happen to you.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
You're right, it is probably unlikely... actually my friends think I'm going to go crazy and shoot up a school. I guess I'm scared that people go to depths unknown because of problems and when things happen.

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
I think as atheists we take death a little harder than others. We don't get to have the warm and fuzzy thought that we will see our loved ones again or that they are in a better place as Christians do. We see death as the end. We have no sky daddy, therefore we must look to each other for comfort when times get difficult to handle. Honestly, I'd rather have some one that can hug me and tell me it will be okay than an imaginary friend any day.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
I agree lacy, it does seem that it would be harder. If something bad happened to me, I think I rather just be left alone though. different is as different is.

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
It just depends on the situation for me.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
You've probably already heard that the shooter in Virginia yesterday was a South Korean student who had recently exhibited signs of mental illness.  From what I've read online, and based on what we know of his actions, it seems consistent with schizophrenia.

There were also suggestions that he might have been taking psychotropic medications.

I know from very sad personal experience that if a person takes some of the powerful antidepressants available today and then stops taking them precipitously it can lead to truly psychotic behavior.

I will be deeply dsisappointed with my fellow Americans if I hear about any reprisals aimed at Korean-Americans.  This guy did not do this because he was Korean, he did it because he was insane in the one country in the world that has the highest ratio of handguns to potential victims.

Weapons are the tools of violence, all decent men detest them.
Tao Teh Ching

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

I think as atheists we take death a little harder than others.

This is an interesting statement Lacy. I see this as just the opposite. I know that my dead friends and relatives see and feel nothing. They are no longer in pain, they are no longer suffering and they do not exist except in my memory. I know that they are not suffering eternal damnation or heavenly bliss. They are nothingness. Death is the great equalizer. I take a lot of comfort in knowing that someday my ashes will be scattered in the desert winds and that I will return to the earth. Besides, what kind of heaven would it be with out dogs? Who needs it. :snork_lach:

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

I take a lot of comfort in knowing that someday my ashes will be scattered in the desert winds and that I will return to the earth.

Damn.  I wish that thought gave me comfort. :smt017

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Think about this. Would you rather you were lying six feet under with the worms and a gallon of formaldehyde oozing out of all your poorly sewn shut orfices. Your eyeballs superglued shut and a cork in your . . . well where ever needs a cork? I guess comfort is not the best choice of words. Maybe I should say it gives me peace knowing that I will return to mother earth to sleep forever.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts

Maybe I should say it gives me peace knowing that I will return to mother earth to sleep forever.

I hope someday to provide nourishment for a tree, a cactus, or a Joshua Tree.

Trees are more worthy of respect than human beings are anyway, so becoming part of a tree would be moving up in the world.

I'm guessing that the burnt ashes of a human being might be useful as some sort of fertilizer.  Maybe I'll be a Cactus Mix.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
If you smoke a big bag of weed just before you check out maybe you'll become . . .

POTASH!

[smilie=chongin.gif] [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif] [smilie=chongin.gif] [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif] [smilie=chongin.gif] [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts

If you smoke a big bag of weed just before you check out maybe you'll become . . .

POTASH!

Great idea, maybe my last words could be "Far out, man."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users